Green Light Projects—Waste
- Assess waste-handling and management systems and operations.
- Audit all hazardous waste-related activities to ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations.
- Audit waste equipment utilization/hauling efficiencies.
- Baseline hazardous waste generation rate and set minimization goals.
- Conduct a basic (cardboard and paper) recycling program.
- Create a sustainability team.
- Develop an organizational environmental principles statement.
- Ensure proper placement of RMW containers and signage and education of staff.
- Ensure staff are informed about and trained to participate in sustainability efforts.
- Expand the facility's recycling program.
- Optimize management and improve environmental performance in handling of universal waste.
- Recycling C&D waste for large renovation and construction projects.
- Reduce RMW generation rates.
- Reuse single-use devices.
- Set waste management goals and track and report progress.
- Virtually eliminate the use of mercury and mercury-containing devices.
Note: For the launch of the Sustainability Roadmap for Hospitals, only the Green Light performance improvement measures (PIMs) appear. Watch this space for the addition of additional basic level projects as well as those at the intermediate and advanced levels.